Monday, June 2, 2008

Go West!




It seems as though all of the updates thus far have been about belly and baby... There has become a new focus to our lives in the recent few weeks. We are taking our life together to San Antonio, TX as of the end of this month. Dan has finally been given the opportunity to get in to coaching full time and can ditch the pharmaceutical world and 70 hour work weeks!! Things have been a little bit of a whirlwind, you could say. The team flew us down to visit over mother's day weekend. We made the most of it and I interviewed at 2 hospitals, we looked at houses, slightly learned our way around the city, and visited the Riverwalk. We took about a week to make the decision to move (lots of turmoil- mostly for me. My every action was saying I wanted to move but I kept having an inner argument that would fluctuate every 5 seconds between yes and no)

Now, here we are with 60% of the house packed up, jobs lined up, moving trucks ready, old jobs quit and just impatiently wanting our house to sell (its only been on the market 13 days). We're also squeezing a trip to Florida in between now and the move- one that was planned long before we knew about this move!

This chaos/craziness that has come about seems to be a big blessing. It would have been no fun for Dan to be working that much once the baby girl is born and the timing of the move is good. Many coaching jobs would have wanted him to start in September, which would have been nearly impossible with the baby arriving early that month.

I feel blessed and am so grateful to be a nurse at a time like this. One of my two interviews down in SA offered the same day and the other one has since offered as well. No stress about finding a job, I can even use the two of them to get the best $$ deal- yeah!!

Its funny too, ever since we started entertaining the pretty real idea of moving down to SA (before we even visited) I had thoughts where I figured I'd feel disappointed if we DIDN'T move. After considering the challenge of the move, life just seemed like it would be boring if we stayed- same jobs, same surroundings, already knew the doctors and hospital where we'd have the baby. Ya, crazy, I know.

Other small things have happened along the way to tell us that we're not totally crazy for making this move at a time like this. At my most recent OB appointment, I mentioned that we'll be moving and won't be delivering the baby with their practice. When I mentioned where we'd be living my doctor's eyes lit up and he said, "I did my residency down there! I have two great doctors' names to give you that I went to school with!" How perfect! And big sigh of relief, otherwise I was going to have to resort to my method of random name selection in finding a doctor, which I really don't want to do at 2 months prior to delivery.

Also, everyone we've talked to that has ever lived there can't stop gushing about how much they love that city. It'll be only a matter of time before we're the same way. Luckily we'll already know one couple to get started. One of Dan's good friends and former teammates from BSU and his wife live there as well.
And yes, the baby is doing fine. My belly is growing accordingly. Its funny to look back at the last pictures and how I thought my belly was big then... These pic's are from weeks 25 & 26.

2 comments:

Bill_and_Carolyn said...

Wow! My daughter really is pregnant. What a joy! Just think, Kim, this is your 10th anniversary since winning the 300 meter hurdles at the Indiana State Girl's Track and Field Championships. In your current state of affairs, I don't you would be able to lift your lead leg high enough to get over hurdle now.

brittany said...

Sounds like everything is coming together nicely. Congrats!